3.09.2015

1985 Cupcakes (or 30th birthday cupcakes)

I was asked to make cupcakes for a special guy turning the big 3-0! He is practically like a little brother to me and I was honored to come up these fun cupcakes for his big day! His wife and mother were planning the party around 1985 (and a little general 80's stuff) in honor of the year he was born.

I decided to make 10 Mario Brothers cupcakes (Nintendo and Mario Bros were released in 1985--major seller that year!); 10 Calvin and Hobbes cupcakes (1985 was the first year it was nationally printed); 10-- "I heart 1985" plaques; and 10 Top Gun toppers (it was really released in 1986, but it is the birthday boy's favorite movie so we let it slide)

These were so much fun to create! I think the Calvin and Hobbes were my favorites. But I'm also just partial to C&H.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, D!!!
Details: 20 vanilla cupcakes, 20 chocolate cupcakes; 20 with vanilla bean buttercream, 20 with chocolate. It was all mix and match.